The Canadian Unitarian Council is one of 65 organizations that launched this movement on May 6th, calling on Canadians to ensure their leaders:
- meet the demands of Indigenous knowledge and science and cut Canada’s emissions in half in 11 years while protecting cultural and biological diversity.
- oversee a rapid, inclusive and far-reaching transition to deeply reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect critical biodiversity
- fully implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP)
- meet the demands of the multiple crises we face, create over a million jobs in the process, leave no one behind and build a better present and future for all of us.
What You Can Do
- Sign the pledge for a Green New Deal and if you are part of an organization, encourage it to endorse and participate.
- Help develop a shared vision by joining a town hall near you:
Green New Deal Town Hall for Ottawa: Wednesday, May 22,
6:30pm, Ottawa Public Library, 120 Metcalfe Street. Sign up, get more information or host your own
- Help make the climate crisis a federal election issue by pushing political leaders to act:
- Share this campaign with your networks
- On social media use the hashtag #GreenNewDeal.
- call on federal election candidates in your riding to support a Green New Deal.
- Our very own Star Trek Captain, William Shatner, supports the Pact
- Iconic Canadian singers KD Lang and Neil Young are among 50 well-known Canadian artists who endorse the Pact